Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dynasty?

There has been a lot of blogging and editorializing going on since about 10 PM Sunday night over whether or not the Pittsburgh Steelers - with six Superbowl rings to their credit now - are the NFL's premere dynasty. Here's my take for what it's worth.

We're each looking for rational arguments-facts- to justify an already-made emotional decision to say either "Yes, they are a dynasty," or "No, you're crazy." The truth of the matter is that we are allied with a sports team or a sports concept (like a dynastic team, for example) based on a myriad of values that we each hold and the core emotions that those values evoke.

So, for me, I'll say yes, the Steelers are the epitome of an NFL dynasty. But I'm not going to lay out facts and figures to justify that statement. I will say that I grew up and lived most of my life in Pennsylvania. I value hard work, honesty and respect by leaders, owners and members of a team. I like the work ethic exemplified by Pittsburgh the city and the Steelers as a team. They both seem "real" to me.

So the Steelers for me speak of home, fairness, honesty and hard work. And yes, by the way, they are a dynasty.