Sunday, July 5, 2009

Clouds

Today is the first in a long time when it has been generally cloudy. That cloudiness is reflective of the loneliness I feel these last few days between the days of much family visiting and the days of Kate being back. I talk to the dogs and Zelda (Lucky is still in daytime hiding) but they can only talk back in dog and cat talk so our conversations are limited.

"Hi Zelda." "Mrroww"
"Want to go for a walk Kooper?" heavy panting and tail wagging (Kooper)
Stand up. Move on the couch. Go upstairs. Brush my teeth. Roll over in bed. Take a pee. You name it. heavy panting and jumping and rapid short tail waggingg (Logan)

You get the picture.

The check out clerk and I had a nice conversation yesterday about the Fourth of July and her work schedule and the pace of business at the local Trader Joe's. But then I left. And she went on to have another nice conversation with the next person in the checkout line.

I say "hi" to people who are walking the opposite way down the sidewalk when we are out for our innumerable dog walks. About a half of the people respond. Others don't make eye contact or talk to their cell phones or text message someone.

It's a lonely world for anyone alone.

Cloudy.

I think I'll go to church now and be alone together with others.