Friday, January 16, 2009

Frozen in Time

It's one. Degree that is. Well, not really. But it feels like it's one. That's what the weather page on my computer says. That's what my frozen fingers told me (ungloved) as I walked Kooper a few minutes ago. I think the temperature is actually seven or some similarly thin digit, but at this point 1 or 7 or something else without a companion numeral is cold for these here parts. Kooper didn't seem to care. He was still of a mind to take his time and sniff his way along our path. I nudged him along a bit faster than we normally go. Trading which hand was in my pocket and which was exposed and holding the leash.

That worked until Kooper took a dump. Then I was into cleanup mode and had a small bag of detritus to haul along back home. That couldn't go into the pocket, with or without my hand.

We made it back home and disposed of the doggy doo-doo. Closed the door behind us and re-warmed. I found my gloves now. I'll definitely wear them on the way to the Metro.

It's a TGIF day before what's shaping up to be a nice four-day weekend. I am off Monday (Martin Luther King, Jr.) and Tuesday (Inauguration). I'll be going in a bit on Monday to work to help unload some food that some community people are bringing in to our food pantry at work. It's part of their community service work that day. A lot of other people are doing community service that day too. In honor of Martin. In anticipation of and hope for things to come beginning Tuesday. Work for the hungry and poor and homeless. The ones out in the cold right now. Without gloves. Not knowing if it's one or seven or whatever. Just knowing that it's freezing. And that they are too.