Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Snow and Ice

It's finally come! Snow. Softly falling yesterday all day. A couple of inches by the end of the day. Dry big flakes. Then it changed to freezing rain and drizzle. That's what's been spitting all night. Now there's a glaze of ice over the pressed down snow. A pretty sheen reflecting the city lights back at Kooper and me when we took our walk a bit ago.

So, the snow wasn't snowy for long. The wonderland faded into an icy, slushy mix that froze overnight.

Because of all of this most schools are now closed. Though the George Washington Parkway near the house is drivable enough. Just wet. The announcer on WETA (one of the local NPR stations) says it's the back streets and roads that are problematic. They are the icy ones. Not treated yet.

And Kooper and I know first hand how the sidewalks are. Glazed. Like a glazed doughnut only not as tasty or fattening.

I took a picture with my cell phone of the glaze and lights and snow earlier during our walk. But I can't download the photo to my computer. My phone and Mac aren't speaking at the moment. What we have here is a failure to communicate. Otherwise, you could see the beauty. And doughnut-like splendor. Maybe later. If my workplace is closed for the day I'll have plenty of time to play the marriage counselor between the two devices.