Saturday, October 18, 2008

October 18 - Leaping into the Blogosphere

A blog (a contraction of the term "Web log") is a Web site, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog. At least that's what Wikipedia says. It seems like a good way to write down some newsworthy and not so newsworthy things, and get the word out to those who might want to know what's so worthy or not. So, this is it (don't think it will get much better than this or you might be disappointed!).

It's dark out still. It's dark out because I'm on a new schedule that relates to my having a real job in the real world. The new schedule gets me up at 5 AM so that I can walk the dogs (Lady and Kooper), feed the dogs (Kooper and Lady), swallow some vitamins (overdose really) and be transported to work. I don't have a Star Trek type transporter but I do have legs (walk to the Braddock Road Metro), a train (the Yellow Line south from Braddock Road to the Huntington Station (the end of the line; See: http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm), and then the 161 Bus to my workplace (UCM, which stands for United Community Ministries). There (http://www.ucmagency.org/), I am arguably their Director of Development (although one of my first tasks is to get that title changed to "Director of Development and Communications," since that's really what I'm supposed to be doing. By the way, if anyone wants to be my "Assistant Director of Development and Communications" I'm going to be hiring one soon.

So, that’s why it’s dark out. I’ve only been at it for two days (since Thursday), but my body is in the habit of waking at 5 AM. Well, I woke at 3 AM but who’s counting. So, Kooper has been walked (twice). Lady has been walked (once). Both have been fed (Iams and hamburger). I have read my “Day Break” list of web links (more on that in a future blog). And I have been vitaminized. What better else to do than to start a blog!

Welcome!