Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Terrible Twos

My two-plus year old cell phone has been throwing tantrums lately.  Not holding a charge all day long.  Cutting out during crucial calls with Michael about his motherboard.  Refusing to charge in a timely manner.  So I got a new battery.  Extra life sized!  I got it very quickly and easily through an on-line store that specializes in Motorola cell phones.  Talk about a niche.  The only trouble is the extra life sized battery is extra thick and it sticks out beyond where the tiny back door to the phone would normally sit.  So, back on line I went last night.  I need a super-sized back door (or battery cover as they so cleverly call it).  It's ordered now.  Should be here Friday.  I should have known that a super-sized battery would need an XXX sized hatch.

My cell phone is Microsoft based and this computer I'm blogging on is an Apple.  The two don't speak.  They don't even try.  I guess if my phone were newer they would at least try to communicate with each other.  But two year-old phones don't know the Apple language.  They don't talk the same talk.  So my calendar on the computer is almost empty but the one on my phone (that I almost always have with me) is filled with everything I need to remember to do.  Like a brain memory expansion pack but only more reliable.  Until the battery starts to fizzle.

Now if you want to call me on my cell phone you can.  It rings (actually it vibrates because that's the best way for me to "hear" it).  It rings when it reminds me that it's almost time to do something I should remember to do.  And if I hold it gingerly the battery on steroids won't fall out.  

I figure if it lasts two more years by late 2010 maybe some new technology will surface and I won't even need a new battery again.  Or a new cell phone at all.  Maybe by then Macs and PCs will be able to speak and understand each other, and Democrats and Republicans will hug in the aisles of the Capital Building, and we all will have forgiven George Bush.