Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Vox populi

Carmen died.

She sang her heart out, poor woman, but she still died anyway. I would have voted that she live had I been given a vote. We saw Carmen die in a center for the performing arts named after John F. Kennedy. In the end, he died because he wanted to become President, and because enough (just enough!) people voted for him . . . not to die, but to become President. I was 12 when Kennedy (John) died, but if I could I would vote him back if he wanted the job again. Or even Robert - especially Robert - if he could give it another shot. Maybe that's why I voted for Barack Obama.

One of the nice and interesting things about living around Washington, DC is that you don't need mass media to tell you what's happening politically. Last night after Carmen died and I was walking Kooper around the block, at about 10:50 or so, all of a sudden out of the dark and quiet Kooper and I heard a "whoop" sound coming from a townhouse on Portner, followed in quick succession by "yes!" and "Yay!" and other and growing loud cheers of victory from the apartments around the corner on Bashford. Then pots and pans were being banged. Then car horns tooted their approval . . . the voice of the people. Kooper didn't understand what all the noise meant, but it was obvious . . . in January, if all goes according to plan, we'll have a new leader. Actually, it will be the first leader we've had in awhile when you think of it.

I hope Barack Obama doesn't die for a very long time. That's my vote anyway, if I have a voice in that one.