Thursday, November 13, 2008

Warcraft

I'm very tired this morning. It's of my own doing, though. Last night at 11:30 I drove a few miles west of here down Duke Street to the GameStop store and waited until midnight with a couple hundred other people . . . all shapes and sizes and ages . . . for the release of the newest addition to World of Warcraft. That (for the uninitiated) is an on-line massively multiplayer game where you travel around various continents and lands completing quests, fighting enemies and gathering all-the-while gold and better and better weapons and armament (so that you and your on-line friends can advance to the next (and more challenging) land.

It was important, you see, that I went last night because yesterday, after months of slogging my way through the game's worlds, I reached "Level 70" - the highest level of achievement attainable! Last night's add-on allows the exploration of new worlds and quests - and you can now go up to Level 80!

So then I came back to the house, loaded the game, and played until 3 AM or so (there were a couple of walks with Kooper sandwiched in there, too). Michael (as in one of my sons) was there too. Not here. There. In the same brave new world as I was. Helping me advance and fight and kill and plunder booty and complete quests. He gave up and went to bed before me, though. There were others in our "realm" playing though. Some with the Alliance. Some, like me, with the Horde.

So this morning I'm tired. War is hell.