Thursday, April 23, 2009

Time to Type

My fingers may be off a bit and wander into a few typos. It's so early (4 AM or so-ish) but I'm up so I might as well put some figurative thoughts down on figurative paper. It was Kooper again. At about 3 o-clock or so I must have rolled over while asleep and there he was. A big, wet nose was poked into my face. I knew immediately that it couldn't have been Kate's nose. She's still out of town until this evening. Plus, I was on the couch. Normally a one-person (or one person and one cat and one dog) affair. My ecer (I mean "ever" - see, one of those typos) . . . my ever-sharp mind deduced that it was Kooper and that he wanted to go out.

"Go lay down," I mumbled. Trying to ignore the nose and wetness and sour dog breath (or maybe it was my breath). He snorted and walked toward the front door. There would be no escaping the reality of nature calling. So we walked. And I woke. And now . . . tired but too unsleepy to sleep.

Kooper seems unphased. He's curled up on the chair. Once in awhile his eyes open to make sure I'm still here. I will be until about 7:20 or so-ish, when I cross the street to catch the 11Y express bus into downtown DC. Then a brisk 20 minute walk to work. The walk should be in the sunshine today. It's rained during the past two morning walks to work. So, (when it's sunny) I walk east into the sun in the morning and west into the sun in the afternoon.

I'm going to try to sleep again now. But those two things are usually exclusive - trying and sleeping. Don't go well together. Like typing and tired.