Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Eyes Have It

It was great to see the Pittsburgh Penguins win game seven of the eastern NHL semi-finals last night. They beat the Washington Capitals. Even though I had to put up with the local, DC Comcast television announcers, who are okay but very homey. The game was pretty much a blow-out from the first period, so there wasn't the usual excitement and tension that only a game seven in the hockey playoffs can bring. As much as I love baseball, playoff hockey is the most exciting sport I know. Especially if you have a team you can pull for. Like the Penguins. Especially if it's a game seven. You can't blink. Every second is that critical.

So, even though the game was still on we avoided marital discord at 9 PM when the season finale of Lost came on. Confident that the Penguins had the game and series well in hand, Kate could watch Lost (and I could too), without worrying what was happening in the playoff matchup.

Lost was a two-hour season finale. ABC promoted it at three-hours. But the first was just a Heinz hour. As in ketchup. As in catch-up. So, the finale really didn't start until 9. But I missed a few minutes of the first hour as I nodded off on the couch. The excitement was killing me! By 10 PM I gave in to my steadily closing eyes and hit the sack. Never saw the end to the finale.

I'll catch up on-line or on my iPhone with a download. Sometime when there's no Penguins playoff hockey game on. Sometime when my eyes can stay open for the duration.