Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mariah

The wind in St. Paul yesterday was ferocious. Like in a blizzard but it was sunny and hot. A cold front was draped over southern Minnesota and the wind along the front was steadily in the 25-35 mph range with gusts that would drive you back up the street if you were walking into it. I don't think I've ever experienced that degree of wind on a sunny, hot day. I've been in blizzards with gusts to 80 mph and a storm once on the Gulf of Mexico where the wind would have blown you off the ship's deck if you weren't lashed in. But never a strong wind on an otherwise fine day.

The front was slow going through the area so the wind kept it up all day long and into the evening, when it passed onto the east. Accompanied by no lightning or rain. Just a few clouds. So today - this afternoon - we'll fly through the front on my way back to DC. Then, later I'll get to experience the front passing through again. I bet it's different by then. More mature. Maybe having picked up some moisture from the Gulf and slowed down a bit by the Appalachians. Won't be the same.