Sunday, May 24, 2009

Morning Walk

It's so quiet here on Sunday mornings that Kooper and I usually go for longer morning walks. The noise isn't nearly as relentless and droning and invading. So we did this morning. Walked down to the Potomac River and back. Saw a few dogs. Saved a few worms.

[as an aside I should mention that I often do that. When I see an earthworm wriggling on the dry sidewalk I'll often pick it up and toss it into the wet grass or underbrush. If it's a rainy day and the sidewalk traffic not too treacherous for worms I may let the worm on its own to squiggle across the concrete to the other side. But on a dry day with the sun sitting on the edge of the horizon, today wasn't one of those days. Any earthworm would soon face desiccation and oblivion if left to its own devices. I figure not only will the worm appreciate the lift - in a metaphorical sense of appreciation - but I may be saving just the worm whose genes are passed on to future worm generations which triggers an evolution into a new branch of worms which evolve into creatures heretofore unknown to the universe which later (by "later" we are talking millions of years) evolve into the most perfect sentient beings on the planet.]

So. Being a quiet Sunday morning, Kooper and I took a long walk today. Down to the Potomac River and back. And in doing so, changed the world for all time to come.