Friday, May 22, 2009

Time shift

Now I know how all those time travelers feel in the science fiction movies. Disoriented. And they are jumping days or years or eons. I just jumped 900 miles or so and one-hour in time zone difference flying back to DC from Minnesota yesterday. Last night was fine. I was up late-ish. Fueled by the adrenalin rush of a Pittsburgh Penguins playoff hockey win over the Carolina Hurricanes. But this morning I didn't want to get out of bed and my mind is in a fog.

I think a coffee will open up the capillaries and wake me up. My morning coffee usually comes at work now. I'm the first one in and I grind some Guatemalan medium roast beans and brew a pot first thing when I get in. In fact, my first cup (usually of two for the day) is down before most other people walk through the door.

At some point the fog will lift and I'll be back in this time zone again. Unless somehow the plane warped into a new dimension during its flight east yesterday and I'm not really in my old dimension anymore. I could be trapped in a new reality! Maybe there will be a peaceful world and no one pollutes anymore and camping is all done by backpack and the Yankees win each year! No. That would be too good to be true. But at least maybe it really is Friday. And that's good enough for now.