Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's Still Safe

Despite the horrific Metro train crash and deaths and injuries earlier this week here in DC, I still feel safe riding the trains. The old, outdated, less secure trains. And the newer, more modern, safer varieties. The Red Line (the line where the crash occurred) is still closed down at the crash site but open otherwise on either side of that point. It was packed at rush hour this morning. At the point where I switched from bus to train (the Metro Center), I had to wait one train (two minutes) to get room in a Red Line car to get to my stop at Union Station (I was training it because the heat and humidity are spiking today in DC - no desire to be soaked with sweat by the time I walked the mile-plus from the bus stop to work).

So, while there may be trepidation, there were still crowds on the Metro. On the Red Line. It's still a safe way to get around.