Monday, June 22, 2009

That Sinking Feeling

Everywhere I read these days (and I do a lot of it in my current job), I read of countries scaling back plans to scale back the emissions of heat-trapping greenhouse gases. England, Russia, Australia, Germany, United States. China may be the one exception but that remains to be seen. Third world countries are complaining loudly to the first-worlders about being subjugated and ignored once again. They are likely correct.

In the meantime more and more scientists are saying that soon it will be too late to reverse course. One, James Lovelock, recently said that it's already too late. That the past 100 plus years of CO2 production has already tipped the scales past the point of re-balance. He wants to name his soon-to-be-released book "The Vanishing Face of Gaia: A Final Warning. Enjoy It While It Lasts." But his publisher talked him out of it, saying pessimism doesn't sell. Don't worry. Be happy.

To quote Star Wars (I, II, III, IV, V and VI), "I've got a bad feeling about this."