Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Monumental

Brid, Erin and I are coming back into DC tonight (after I go out of DC this afternoon for a bit) to see some monuments. Brid wants to see the monuments in DC. Washington Monument. Lincoln Memorial. Jefferson Memorial. Those sort of monuments.

I'm sure - I know - that everyone has their faults. Those memorialized in monuments and the rest of us, too. In the glare of media - new and old - the faults just seem a bit bigger these days. I doubt that they are. We are just hungry for big faults and the supply rises up to meet the demand. The faults seem as monumental on the 6 o'clock news as the marble memorials in the National Mall.

I just have to wonder who will be memorialized in monuments 100 years from now, big warts and all. Whose monuments will Brid's grandchildren want to visit in DC in the summer heat in 2109?