Friday, June 5, 2009

Rain

I can't recall if I've had a post entitled "Rain" before, but it fits this week. Lots of drizzly periods interrupted by occasional downpours. My little "Penn State" umbrella can take the drizzles but it's totally inadequate for the downpours. Then I get wet along the edges and from the knees down (with no wind) or the waste down (with anything above a breeze).

On this morning's (now two-dog) dog-walk it was just wet enough that I got damp but not rainy enough to warrant holding an umbrella in one hand and two dog leashes in another. That gets to be pretty tricky when I need to add a full poop bag to the mix.

Springer Spaniels are known as "velcro dogs." Although I've had Springers in the family before, I never heard the term until we looked into the Springer rescue group. Now that Logan is here I can see why the term is used. He's a follower. Follows either Kate or I around the house. Is always near one of us. On his first day at church with Kate he followed her into the women's room, and when Kate shut the stall door he squeezed in underneath to join her. That's togetherness. That's velcro.

Logan is still enamored with Zelda the cat. In a "run so I can chase you" sort of way. He just stares and stares hoping for a quick move on Zelda's part. She rarely complies. She was startled the other night when the Pittsburgh Penguins scored a goal and I yelled. Zelda shot off the couch and Logan went tearing after. That's the one time when Logan doesn't seem to mind being non-velcro.