Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Books

At this rate I'll never finish another book. By the time I go to bed,I'm usually pretty tired (or else, why go to bed). But that's also the quiet time of day when I pick up a book and start to read. Plus, reading is a good "clear-your-mind-to-get-ready-for-sleep" activity. That takes about three minutes. Five on a long night. That might get me through one or two pages in the book I'm reading. Quckisilver. Which is a long historical novel. I don't think I'm going to make it to the end unless I pick up the nightly pace or go to the beach. One or the other. Or both. Beach times are good times to knock down a lot of pages. I could probably get through the remaining 400 or so pages in one solid week at the beach.

Tonight we're curling up on the couch and looking for a beach place to rent for a week this summer. It's a nice wintry thing to do. To imagine the warm sand and waves and ocean breezes blowing in off the Atlantic. The noise of the crowd. People having fun. Or not. The noise of book pages turning one after the other. To the end.