Friday, December 19, 2008

Ho Ho Ho

This is going to be a long weekend. Both Saturday and Sunday, all day, each day I'll be helping out at the office where I work in what we call the Holiday Room. A room that is right now stacked full of toys and books and puzzles and things for children. Parents (who have signed up already) will come in and "shop" for free for gifts for their children. I imagine it will be more than "parents" in the strictest sense of the word, but you get my drift. The gifts are segregated somewhat by type and gender (where it applies) and age. It should be fun I guess. Long, though. It actually continues into Monday.

I'm hoping that we don't have a "WalMart-lets-bust-down-the-doors-and-crush-the-employee" moment. I think it will be somewhat calm. First, because the event is well organized. The number of families who signed up was prescribed ahead of time so that there would be enough good gifts for everyone (the gifts are contributed). Second, it's been my experience at the agency that people with little tend to be less greedy and pushy and more polite and grateful than the rest of us on the whole. That's a tendency mind you. Not a hard and fast rule. There are exceptions, as in any trend.

Speaking of trends. It rained some yesterday. It's raining right now. It's been raining on and off for well over a week now. I think there was one day of sun this past week but I can't remember when. I'm ready for some sunshine. Even if it's cold sunshine. Rain and in the 40s is more depressing than sun and in the 20s in my book. If I had a book, that is.