Thursday, December 25, 2008

December 25

I'm not sure why but today seems quite like most other days. Which is maybe the way it should be. I mean babies are born most every other day of the year, too. In not-so-good conditions. Under not the best of times. A bit of divinity in each child. Within each moment of creation.

It is such a normal, not-out-of-the-ordinary day that when I opened my daily reading of the Rule of Benedict, which is presented by date throughout the year, I caught myself glancing down to the date icon at the bottom of my computer screen to see what date I should be reading in the Rule. "Ah, yes! It's the 25th you dummy."

I told the story of Alfie the Christmas Tree at yesterday afternoon's Christmas Eve service for the children. They were quiet throughout. The children. So I think they were listening. That story is about the ordinary, too. All life is a special kind of thing, Alfie reminds us.

Today we have Irish stew and corned beef and cabbage for Christmas dinner. Going to Ireland this year. Fruit grunt for dessert.

Tomorrow is December 26.