Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Spring

This is one of the nice things about living down here in the not-so-deep south. Just a bit ago in the dark of morning when Kooper and I stepped outside to stroll around the block we were shocked by the warmth. It had actually warmed up over night from the low 50s into the low 60s! I know that Kooper was surprised. He looked up at me from the sidewalk in front of the house with that "Is it Spring now?" look that dogs tend to get during the Winter. "No," I said, "not yet, but we can enjoy it anyways."

So we took an especially slow walk around the block. Kooper sniffed and snuffled even more than usual. I think because the warmth adds the the movement of odors from things that only dogs and babies can smell. And i just walked slow. Just because it's something that seems to be the right thing to do in the early morning. In the Spring. Even a not-for-real Spring like today.