Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Little Things

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens . . ." Um okay. Start over.

Ahem . . .

It's the little things that make life meaningful, so "they" say. The prophets. The saints. Some of the not-so-saintly. And I think that's true. I think it. But rarely live that notion out. Last night while I was watching Boston Legal reruns on TV (7 -11 PM Tuesdays and Wednesdays on ION), Kooper was sitting on the floor in front of me. Staring at me. Whining. I tried the usual. Took him outside for a pee. Gave him a dog biscuit. Moved Zelda off the couch so that he could climb up into his usual couch spot. None of that worked. He sat there still. Staring. Whining. And it was getting to the good part of Boston Legal near the end when James Spader gets up in front of the jury and tears into the neoconservative preacher or business person or politician or other conservative something or other. So Kooper's whining just had to stop! I needed to find a remedy.

I got down on the floor next to him. And he started to play and nuzzle and lick and paw. That's all he wanted. Just that little thing. To be close. And in playing and nuzzling and pawing back (I passed on the licking), I forgot all about James Spader's monologue and the other things that I build up into being bigger than they really are. Suddenly the bigger things didn't matter anymore. And I just was. With Kooper. On the rug.