Sunday, March 8, 2009

Tick Tock

I looked at my cell phone clock a bit earlier today, while I was lying in bed, Beethoven's Ninth Symphony running through my head. I'm sure everyone knows that once Beethoven starts winding his way through your brain, trying to sleep is useless. Anyway, the clock. It said 4:10. I figured, "Well, that's late enough. I've gotten enough sleep and Kooper might be ready for a morning walk by now." So we did. Walk, that is. A nice long walk, because it turns out the birds were all chirping away, even though it was dark out. I think they were chirping because it was also very mild. 68 degrees F! So, I was in no hurry to get in from the outdoors.

By the time we got back and went upstairs to the kitchen (the kitchen is upstairs here on the second floor along with the dining room) to make some tea and have a dog bone (me and Kooper, respectively), I glanced at the kitchen (microwave) clock. 3:45 AM! I looked at the wall clock, too. The same! It took my Beethoven-filled brain about five seconds or so to realize that my cell phone had dutifully adjusted to daylight savings time but not necessarily the other house clocks. Not the two kitchen clocks or the old clock on the fireplace mantle. The one that was my grandparent's. The one Kate hates and has threatened to bury with me when I die. It chimes every 15 minutes, you see. A "conversation stopper," according to Kate. Of course, come to think of it, when I'm dead, who will Kate converse with? Hmmmm!!!

Back to the clocks! The clock on the cable box changed to daylight savings time, as did my computer clock. It's just the older ones - not connected to the outside world - that are slow. That need help moving ahead. Like me. They must have Beethoven's Ninth running through their brains.