Monday, March 9, 2009

Siesta

Today, it turns out, is National Napping Day! How about that for ambition! A whole day set aside to push the agenda for making napping something important.

I actually think that a daily afternoon siesta is not a bad idea at all. Around about 3 PM or so I tend to really get slow. Everything. Drowsy. Less sharp. No ambition. I remember back when I was really into running that I would do so much better in the morning than after work (say, between 4 and 6 PM). There were both mental and physical hurdles to jump even before getting going in an afternoon run. My mind and body said "no" and I often caved in to their demand. It's not too different in the non-running world for me.

But then, even if I don't do anything to tip the scales one way or the other, around about 6 or 7 PM, I can sense my spirit and body perking up again! With or without food or change in venue or shift in activity. It's just that from about 3 to about 6 o'clock I dip.

Don't ask me whether that's standard or daylight savings time.