Friday, March 27, 2009

Work

I have sent out a few resumes and letters to organizations in DC who seem to mesh well with my skills package (such as it is), interests and passion. And I've had one good interview so far (the only interview I've had so far). This one was at a place near Union Station - the large, historic train station in DC. I've trained in and out of there several times. To and from Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. The Pittsburgh - DC route is gorgeous and worth the trip for the sights alone: along the Youghiogheny River then over the mountains into the Potomac basin; meeting up with that river at Harper's Ferry. The Philadelphia-DC leg is quite different: urban and suburban for the most part; going down toward Baltimore and then west toward Washington. Not as scenic as the Pittsburgh route, but nice nonetheless (I think most all train trips are "nice nonetheless").

Speaking of trains, I've traveled on the DC Metro Yellow Line train a couple times during the past week when the "Metro Jazz" engineer was working (see my March 11 post). Once was yesterday and once earlier in the week. I honestly don't feel like getting off the Metro when he's announcing the stops. On Monday when I was heading to work, I got off the Metro at the end of the line at Huntington Station. And so did the Metro Jazz DJ (he was on the front end of the train-soon to become the back end as the train reversed to leave the station). So he must have been getting off the train for a break or maybe ending his shift. He didn't look anything special. Nothing to set him apart from any other Metro engineer or anyone else for that matter. It's the voice within the body that you can't see while walking along the Metro station platform, though. It's the voice that makes riding the Metro the most pleasant way to start off the work day.